information for students impacted by the closure of westech colleges
Webinar for Students
The U.S. Department of Education has scheduled a webinar for students impacted by the closure of Westech Colleges at 2 pm EST / 11 am PCT on April 13, 2017.
- A link to the Westech Fact Sheet: School Closure can be found by clicking here.
Please note that the webinar will be recorded and transcribed for students who are not able to attend the live webinar.
The above fact sheets, published by the Department, provide students with important information about options, including:
- obtaining academic transcripts;
- understanding if your state offers a tuition recovery fund;
- determining if you qualify for a discharge of your student loan(s);
- knowing the steps in the loan discharge process;
- transferring your credits to another school; and
- contacting your loan servicer.
ACCSC encourages students to avoid paying for services that the U.S. Department of Education offers at no charge.
U.S. Department of Education's Closed School Guide For Students
The U.S. Department of Education has prepared a guide to help students sort out some of the options that are available for students attending a school that will be closing, and to help students take the necessary steps to continue their education. This guide includes information on finding a teach-out or transfer program, financing, federal aid, academic records, and tuition recovery (if applicable to your state). The U.S. Department of Education, Accrediting Bodies, State Licensing Agencies, and Guarantee Agencies may assist you with various aspects of the process.
Additionally, the U.S. Department of Education issued a memorandum for students who may be eligible for a loan discharge given a school's closure.